Monday, May 31, 2010

When a crappy days turns awesome unexpectedly........

Let's face it, I was being bratty. Towards the end of last week I had asked Nate what his "study-game plan" was for the next few days. He had answered with "study as much as possible," however, he said that he was going to be "stopping" around 3:00 on Monday to relax to get ready for the exam at the crack'o'dawn on Tuesday. He said something along the lines of "if I don't know it by 3:00 on Monday, am I really going to learn it before Tuesday morning...." Needless to say, I was already looking forward to 3:00 Monday.

Fast forward to Sunday evening dinner and I asked him if his plans remained the same (please note, I had already assumed his plans were indeed the same - btw - when you ask a question in this fashion, be ready for ANY answer, not just the answer you were anticipating). As you may have guessed by this point, he had changed his mind. He had decided that he was going to be studying all day with his best ever study-budy Ken. Me, being the WORST wife ever, immediately began feeling VERY sorry for myself. Here I am, a day off, and no fun.....woe is Jen.

Nate left the house at 5:40 am. I slept in until 10:00 because my attitude was "I have nothing I want to do." I woke up with one of the "my head is going to split open and my brains are going to fall out" headaches that means I had gotten too much sleep. Suffice it to say, the day had lousy prospects. Then, my prayers for something to do were answered in a big fashion. My good friend Caryn "Blackberry chatted" me and invited me to hang out at a pool. It was at her friend's apartment downtown and she said it was nice. I packed up my bag and headed downtown, excited I had something to do, but not having super-high expectations.

And then I saw the pool, and the nice friends, and the food - and I stayed all afternoon. I had to drag my bum away when it started downpouring and it was 6:30. I sure appreciate Caryn for inviting me, I appreciated all of her friends treating me so nicely - I appreciated the amazing day and the perfect pool.

Mostly, I appreciated the "crappy day turned awesome." I really needed it, and God knew it, and delivered in a big way. Nate takes boards tomorrow - and this hellish second semester is REALLY OVER. Bring on the next phase - we are ready! The next phase involves baby showers, Nate beginning rotations and getting out of the books, and Miles making his arrival in around 3 months........

No comments:

Post a Comment