Sunday, July 25, 2010

Why I love life in Indianapolis!









I will never forget that two years ago when we moved to Greenwood, I couldn't believe that I was ever going to even like it here - let alone fall in love with it. We seemed so far away from "home" which seemed to me like it would always be Middlebury. And then, all too suddenly - here we are two years later and you would have to drag me away kicking and screaming!

First we began to meet "med-school" friends, then we began to make "other" friends (my dear friend Amber whom I met at the beauty school) - friends of friends who became closer than family, and then a year ago we found Mt. Auburn United Methodist Church - maybe this, above and beyond the other factors, "sealed the deal" if you will......and now, Greenwood is solidly home - with a Middlebury being our hometown. The shift may seem small on all surface appearances, but when you dig a little bit deeper, it feels big!

Although I had an AMAZING shower in Middlebury on June 26th that was full of friends and family from the "northern Indiana" region, my lovely church family (Sarah Taylor and Shari Greenbaum, in particular) volunteered to throw me a second shower for all of my Indy friends and surrogate family who could not come to the "northern" shower.

These women went above and beyond any expectations I had and threw me the most adorable, cute, and lady-themed shower I have ever been to! We had a brunch with casseroles, muffins, donuts, and fruit bruchetta. Then, my dear friend Sarah made the cutest cupcakes I have ever laid eyes on (by hand, mind you - also, please note she has a tiny child - I can only imagine the sacrifice in time she made to make me these!) The room was set up with cute summery colors and tablecloths, with flower centerpieces and the whole kit-and-kaboodle! The gift table was overflowing so much that the gifts couldn't even all fit. I absolutely LOVE everyone that was in that room, however, it should be noted that several of them knew no one else there, and came only for me - and this meant a lot. My sweet Gram and Momzie made the trip from Middlebury (they left at prior to 6:00 am - and dear, sweet Momzie is still restricted to a wheelchair or walker, so this was no "tiny" thing!)

I had friends from college, friends from now, friends from med-school, and friends and acquaintances from church. The generosity of the gifts was nothing less than enough to blow me away. People gave gifts that I know took sacrifices from them in other areas of their lives.

We are so appreciative, so humbled, and feel so undeserving. All we can do is make sure people know our level of gratitude and love. I can say without hesitation that we are more than ready for Miles' arrival. He has a little bit longer to go to finish "baking" completely in there, but I can't wait for him to get out here to meet all of these people who love him and are going to be there for him for his entire life! He is such a gift from God, not only to us, but also to so much of family and so many of our friends. He is already so blessed, and we are blessed to be his parents!

No comments:

Post a Comment