Monday, July 20, 2009

Grandma was right, as always.....

Look, there are even "wet-wipes" for sticky rib fingers! And of course my dachshund corn-holders! Other than the food, I only spent $3 on the table cloth! I already had everything else!




I am finding myself saying this more and more......"Grandma was right!" My Grandma Wilkey is a very smart lady. She is definitely one of my biggest role models and I have learned much of what I know about life in general from her. That being said, this story actually goes back a few years. One day when I was in high school I remember talking with her one day in the kitchen about cooking dinner or something along those lines. She made some remark along the lines of "It is kind of hard to plan meals for every day." Me, being queen of the world and thinking I knew everything there was to know thought to myself, "I love cooking, I will never get sick of cooking and making meals...." AS IF!!!!






Four years into my marriage and keeping my own home, I am SICK of cooking. I am sick of grocery shopping, I am sick of spending money to buy groceries, I am sick of planning meals for everyday and then cleaning up the mess I make (and I always make a HUGE mess!) That being said, I now would prefer to eat out - every day for every meal. This would be unbelievably expensive and not really so healthy at all. Still, my idea of a fantastic evening includes eating out.






That being said, I was wide awake at 2:00am a few nights ago watching "Good Eats with Alton Brown." Mr. Brown made ribs - probably Nathan's favorite meal and something I have been refusing to make for some time because I didn't know how.






I decided I was going to make Friday a "date-night in" for us and work my tushy off all day to have a special evening for us. I began planning and getting ready at around noon and had dinner on the table by around 6:00. Nate came home to a very clean house, a cute set-theme dinner made up of lemonade, ribs, baked potato with the fixings, and corn. Later followed by smores made over our fire-pit on the back porch. It was a great evening and well worth the work. There was an element of proudness that I felt after preparing Nathan a special dinner. Something that I clearly don't get from saying "Let's go to Texas Roadhouse."
Turns out grandma was right, but to make it worse, grandma had been married for 45 years before she said that. We aren't even to 4 yet, boy, I am in trouble!





1 comment:

  1. That is soooo sweet. You are such a good wife! Maybe someday I will learn the same lesson but as of now I still don't want to cook :)

    ReplyDelete