Sunday, January 3, 2010

I HATE jet-lag......a LOT!

Our flight(s) home was scheduled to leave Anchorage at 9:00 am. There had been some bad airport drama during our time in Alaska, so we decided that we wanted to be plenty early to the this point the attitude really was "better too early than too late!"

We got up at 5:45 and got all of our stuff from the hotel room. Val and Dan took us to the airport and we got there around 7:00. Thankfully we made it through security without any hitches, so we made our way back and waited to board the plane. We boarded at the appropriate time, however, something delayed us once on the plane. We didn't leave until around 10:00. At this point it is worth noting that I belly sometimes hates me, and I assure you the feeling is mutual. I was stressed about the trip and sad about leaving...this translates to my stomach disagreeing with me. I took a stomach med and that kind of knocked me out. Know what is NOT comfy? Sleeping on a plane. But I managed some cat-naps and read a little bit. Really the trip from Anchorage to Minneapolis was pretty painless. We had a short layover in Minneapolis and had a quick trip to Indy. We actually arrived about 10 minutes earlier than our scheduled arrival time in Indy - which was refreshing. Our great friends Brad and Krista picked us up at the airport and delivered us home (thanks guys!!!) Then Nate and I had this AMAZING (slightly stupid) idea to beat the jet-lag. We decided we wouldn't sleep at all until the NEXT night, basically deprive ourselves of sleep terribly to "recover" in only one night. The best laid plans..........

When we got home, we went through all the mail and began unpacking. I had the brilliant idea that I wanted to print all of the pics we wanted from the at 2:00 am we went to CVS for the photo lab. Then we had Steak n' Shake and went shopping at Wal-mart. Know what's empty at 3:00 am? Wal-Mart! We went and picked up our pics and then went grocery shopping at Meijer.

At this point, we were still going strong. We showered (4:00ish) and felt refreshed.

Well, without ALL the details, we were pretty fine. Nate got sleepy off and on, but I kept him going. And then around 1:00 pm......I FELT it and I FELT IT HARD....I am not even kidding. If I closed my eyes for 1 minute I was like dreaming/hallucinating! Seriously, awful! We decided to nap for a little bit. We napped for about an hour or two....then GOT TO WORK.

Are you ready for the list of things we did? It is pretty amazing.....

Cleaned the whole house, including EVERYTHING - even vacuuming
Took down all the Christmas decorations and put them away
Did ALL the laundry - all four loads, and even folded and put away

Not too darn shabby if I may say so myself!

We went to bed at around 11:00, feeling pretty satisfied with ourselves and our level of work. I feel asleep around 11:30, only to wake up at 1:00 as Nate turned off the TV and I was greeted with SILENCE. To make matters much worse, when I woke, I had NO IDEA where I was. The terror of this actually scared me awake. I watched a little bit more TV, and then fell asleep.....

Since Nate and I did all the work yesterday, we felt entitled to enjoy the day. We didn't make it to church, slept past it, but then went out and about Greenwood.

It was a great day. Nate starts the 18 1/2 grade tomorrow.

On a bad note, we DIDN'T defeat the jet-lag. It is now 2:00am and I am WIDE-awake. If it were only me, I wouldn't think much of it with my sleeping issues, however, even Nate is wide awake.....this, from the boy who is generally dead meat by 11:00pm.

He is going to be sleepy tomorrow......

No comments:

Post a Comment